Friday, September 7, 2012

Busy mum's activities for kids

Sometimes thinking of things to keep my kids occupied can be tiring. Though they can play on their own, I will prefer to engage them in different activities. At times I'll google to see what other parents do, at times I'll think of activities on the spot. I've gained from reading other bloggers and hope I can share my own here. Will try to update from recent ones that I did from time to time. Below will be my first batch.

#1

Get them some wall stickers and find a corner for them to DIY. Though there is a complete pic to follow, the kids probably would still need supervision, provided you do not mind the outcome.  It's not expensive. I bought 1 set for $5 sometime back and I've did a post here and here. Depending on the design, the one below took about 15 min. Others may take longer and may be more challenging.



Our new thinking corner

#2
Find a friendly pet for the day. We made a friend who visited. The kids played with a cute orange with black spots ladybug for about 30 min or so. Got to let go if not for lunch. Kaylene let the ladybug walked on her fingers and even wanted to find food for it. This ladybug looked harmless hence it being poisonous didn't cross my mind. We have even gotten lizard and grasshopper as our house pet who drop by for short visits.

#3
We saw an advertisement with the person doing a jump shot. I was inspired that my kids probably would like to see themselves in a jump shot. I fished out my iphone, which i knew would take blurry jumpshots, but decided to still give it a try. My kids simply enjoyed jumping for that perfect jump shot. They laughed at the way they were in the pictures. This fun lasted as long as it could as i left them to take jump shots for each other. It was great listening to their laughter and giggles! After a few days later, they still reminisce their jump shot pics and will do them again with each other.




#4
Simple symmetrical paper craft. Fold paper half or quarters and cut shapes which are symmetrical or the same. Pasted them to form pictures such as below. Did the following with my kids to keep them away from the TV.



#5
I bought a set of Helicopter Balloon from SKP shop at telok ayer. They had so so much fun seeing it floating up to the ceiling and then falling down. I would give this toy four half stars out of five for entertainment, if not for the blade which made me worried a little as they can be a little dangerous on the eyes. I told my kids to keep the blades away from the face when letting go.  It cost $1.90 each set. The instructions from the packing didn't mention a balloon pump is required but we all found it difficult to inflate it by blowing. Only after umpteen times of inflating that manual blowing is possible due to more elasticity.


Kaylene fixing the helicopter blades on after inflating the balloon.


It went all the way up to our ceiling as balloon deflates, with the air from balloon propelling the blade. There might be some noise nuisance as the toy does make a sound when air is coming out of the balloon. Try them outdoor, should go pretty high. I've yet to try though.

This game can be quite educational as you can explain how the mechanism works like what makes the blade spins, why it makes sound as well as spelling on words like 'helicopter' and 'balloon'.
However, each balloon (there were 2 in a pack) didn't last more than 3 days as it burst due to numerous usage.


I've have been procrastinating to check whether my small balloons at home fit the toy. Will probably do so tomorrow, if there weren't other more interesting things to do..

Anybody has interesting ideas do drop me a note. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment