Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Baking a simple Banana Cake without a mixer




I heard my hubby mentioned about wanting to eat banana cake the other day. So, it gave me a a tingle that I can probably bake one. I've always liked to source for simple and hassle free, yet well received recipe. After going through some blogs, I've decided to use Jaime Teo's recipe which her post title mentioned "Easiest Ever Banana Cake Recipe" which can be found here, which she took it from here with 116 reviews!

To those who has done baking, the recipe did not even call for creaming the butter. What!?
I gave it a shot and it really turned out soft and moist. Not the super light and fluffy but my hubby and children loved the taste and texture.

Here is the recipe:

125 g butter
¾ cup sugar
(185gm but I reduced to 140gm)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg
2 ripe bananas mashed (large)

1½ cups self-raising flour (225gms - but as i don't have SR flour, i substituted with 225gm Plain flour +
2 1/4tsp baking powder + 3/8 tsp salt. Got the substitution formula from Joy of Baking)
¼ cup milk 

1. Melt the butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium sized saucepan.(I microwaved sugar and butter in a glass bowl til the butter melted(20s), and stirred it to a gooey mix. THEN I added the vanilla essence )

2.  Add mashed bananas and stir through until just blended.

3.  Add egg and mix in well.  (I didn’t beat the egg in a separate bowl. Break egg in and mix well.)

4.  Stir in flour (I sifted in the flour and baking powder, half cup at a time and added the salt)

5.  Add milk and mix lightly.
(I stopped mixing the moment I couldn’t see the milk. I'd also added chopped walnuts at this stage when i baked the second time)

6.  Bake at 170°C for approximately 40 minutes.(Mine took approx 50mins – do the skewer test!)

BTW, this recipe did not mention about the type of pan used. I used my loaf pan which measured 9x3x3 inches. I buttered it and lined with baking paper. Remember to preheat the oven at 170°C.

Kaylene enjoying the stir. She looked so focused and seriously at work with a full grip of the fork!

Shiranne attempted to mash the bananas. Not much strength so i gave her a helping hand. And i knew she was proud that she helped when she announced to daddy that she "helped mashed" :)


I think the banana cake tasted the best when warm! heat up your slice after it has turned cold!

Side note : this should be my last post as a SAHM. I will be starting my FT work on Monday. Goodbye to the days when i can have the luxury to bake on a weekday with my kiddos...

3 comments:

  1. All the best for work! And thanks for sharing the recipe, we love bananas so this we might try... I think it might taste really yummy if served warm, with a scoop of vanilla icecream! Slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MamaJ! Hope u get to bake one. I hope to bake another soon and will make sure i've a pint of vanilla ice cream in my fridge too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe share..
    I really want to learn how to bake a cake, but I always scared failed.
    This recipe look simple.
    Again, thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete