Thursday, January 20, 2011

our first home baked Pineapple tarts with the buttery savoury pastry



Recently got inspired to bake some Pineapple Tarts ourselves. So went recipe hunting in search for one that will have buttery pastry that is soft and melts in the mouth. Both mine and hubby's choice of pineapple tart! Managed to find one from Hochiak and decided to give it a shot. 

Below is the full recipe taken from the blog which I've added the measurements in grams. Instead of using the full recipe, I halfed the recipe as the baker mentioned it makes about 80-100. I prefer to bake in batches to maintain it's freshness for the Chinese New Year. However, I realised that probably my mould is smaller in size, I ended up making about 80 tarts still! The text in red are my personal comments.

I bought my Pineapple Jam from Phoon Huat and after my first bake, there are lots left which i reckoned can bake another 200++ tarts more.

I've also did an experiment in putting my pastry in to bake for the first 12 min and then insert the pineapple jam and bake further for 8 mins versus putting the pastry and pineapple jam together to bake. My verdict is mentioned with the pictures below.

Recipe for Pineapple Pastry
Ingredients
  • 1 lb./500gm flour
  • 10 oz./300gm butter, cold and diced (I used scs unsalted) 
  • 2 to 3 egg yolks
  • Some cold water (pour 1 tsp at a time to the pastry,until the pastry can form a dough, my pastry still cracks a little at the side when rolled out but it's fine as long as the centre portion is smooth)
  • 4 teaspoon castor sugar
Method
Sift the flour and add in the castor sugar.
Using the pointed ends of a fork, rub the butter into the flour until it looked like fine bread crumbs. If necessary, use fingertips to continue rubbing lightly the bigger pieces into finer pieces.
Add egg yolks and cold water at the same time and lightly combine them using finger tips (rather than kneading them like bread dough) before rolling out to desired thickness.
(The fork and fingertip technique is what makes the pastry special)
 For baking, bake using Gas Mark 3 (160 degrees Celcius / 325 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes. When placing jam onto the pastry, take caution not to smear jam onto the sides as this will easily “burn” and render the sides of the pastry (the flowery design) darker.

If you cannot finish the dough at one go like me, wrap it in cling film and chill the dough. It was rather hard when I took out from the fridge so I microwave the dough on microwavable bowl (with cling wrap removed) using the defrost function for about 20sec.

The little baker at work. Kaylene was rather upset that I started on the first batch without her while she was in school. She's always so enthusiastic about baking!

Smiling because she finally got the hang of using this pineapple tart mould. The first few didn't turn out nice and I've got to help her push out the flower.


This version of pineapple tart's baking time makes the jam soft though colour may not be as appealing as the one below. Bake time : 12 min for the pastry only, 8 min for the pastry with jam inserted.

So for this version, while waiting for the pastry to be baked, I rolled out my pineapple jam into small balls. Note as you roll the jam, your hand gets stickier and difficult to do the rolling. It's handy to have a small plate of water to dab on your palm or on the ball to enable smoother rolling and rounder balls.

As for this version which I baked the pastry together with the jam, the jam turns out rather hard and chewy. Guessed the 20min of baking time dries out the jam. Though the darker colour does look more appealing.

We all loved the pineapple tarts! My hubby sinfully ate up about 30 of them. While it's warm, the jam tasted very sweet. But after it has cooled, the tart's jam tasted just right and the pastry simply melts in the mouth.. yum!  

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Those tarts are not easy to make (my mum always complains every CNY), and you even got your girl to help! :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MamaJ, thanks! Yes, like to get my girls involve as much as i can let them even though extra patience is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! She is only 5 years old and able to make tarts as beautiful like this? Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caca, she likes to help out and well some are beautiful and some are erm..careless. I don't expect much from her anyway as long she enjoyed herself :)

    ReplyDelete