Monday, September 13, 2010

Gala Apple picking!

The apple picking season has finally started! There will be different varieties of apples available for picking throughout the season from early September to end October.  I was excited to bring my kiddies to do some apple picking. Back in Singapore, we do not have any apple farms, so since we are in Toronto, it's such a great opportunity for my kids to physically pluck apples from apple trees.

We went to an apple farm in Brampton called Orchalaw Farm. It was about an hour drive from downtown toronto. It was easy to spot the farm as there was a big apple at the entrance. We were greeted with a friendly staff who briefed us where to park our car and where we can pick the apples we wanted. We wanted to pick the Galas because we like the cruchy and sweetness, and best is they can store up to a month in the fridge.

As first timers in the apple picking, we thought the stem of the apple will detache from the tree branch as we pull the apple from the tree. However, to our surprises, the apple came off without the stem! I felt the apples don't look nice without their stem, and they don't store well too. So, I want my stalk on the apples ( LOL) and I instructed the rest of my family members to pluck the apples gently and try to make sure the stem are still attached. For my kids, I'd to help them by using my nails to act as cutters. For those who want their stems like me, I'd advise to bring a some scissor or penknife along.


After having filled our own bags with apples (you can bring your own or buy from the farm at $1 each), we went to the playground in the farm and the kids had lotsa fun! We stayed till almost their closing hrs and then went to pay for our apples. It was definitely a fun and memorable trip!

We even brought home a little friend which was on one of the apples we picked, and it was the girls' pet for now :)

a tiny ladybug

1 comment: